Posted 8 February 2017 at 11:12 PM | Comments (0)
We weren’t really planning to do anything to the living room. There were only three objectives here: turn the firewood storage (the hole to the left of the fireplace) into a useable shelf; get the gas fireplace serviced, and paint the walls.
But, as you can see, the ceiling tiles just came down. (Insert shocked emoji.) Simultaneously, Elmer the expert came over to service the fireplace.
I did not want to replace the ceiling. I was fervently against it, in fact, because I wanted us to save our money for a future vaulted ceiling. But things sometimes go as they go, and in discussions with our contractor, I began to see the wisdom in replacing it. So, we are doing it, and somehow that one act of taking down the old ceiling vastly improved the smell of the house. Go figure. Maybe it was full of rat pee.
Here’s the before photo from the listing:
I should start titling these posts, “Money Pit, Day 1.”