Posted 25 November 2016 at 9:43 PM | Comments (0)
Lights! We have lights! They weren’t installed per my instructions, so unfortunately they will have to be redone, but relatively speaking, it is not even a setback—it is actually the smallest problem we have had. So, celebrate with me. Lights! You can also see that the plywood walls are going back up. We are making progress.
In the next photo, you can see the water on the floor where our ceiling is leaking (the other leaks have been fixed, so these are new), and you can see the bathtub outline through the closet, where we continue to have a rat problem. Pest control comes on Tuesday. I am not an aggressive or violent person, but it would not disturb me if the rats perished.
Posted 12 November 2016 at 7:59 PM | Comments (0)
So many problems plaguing us this week. We pulled off the drywall in the kids’ closet and had a perfect view of the bathtub barrel through the wood frame. That “perfect view” was sullied by loads—LOADS—of rat droppings, all the way around the bathtub. Oh man, it was gross.
We also realized the roof had a leak, because after a heavy rainfall, the kids’ bedroom floor had a big puddle of water.
It was not our best week. I am tempted to tear this entire house down and start over, but that is not in our reach right now.
Going to wallow with a piece of cake.
Posted 5 November 2016 at 9:14 PM | Comments (0)
Whoops. I forgot to take a picture of the second bedroom before we started working on it, so I had to pull one off of a website.
We finally pulled down the cheap, wood paneling off the walls, which exposed the plywood underneath (this house is too old for sheetrock, apparently). Gone are the tiled ceilings, too, so we can’t get out of that now…
If you’re wondering what’s going on with the masking tape on the window, that’s me brainstorming a stylized, larger window, so that we’re up to code. Time will tell what ends up on that wall. Probably not jail bars, though. My husband said no.
Posted 4 November 2016 at 8:31 PM | Comments (0)
There have been many setbacks, but we’re pressing on. From the pictures it looks like we haven’t done anything at all, but that’s because most of our work has been under the house:
1) We replaced the pipes under the house that were leaking sewage. (Gross.)
2) We cleaned up the rat infestations both above and under the house. (No more rats, but no more insulation, either.)
3) We replaced all of the rotted posts that support the house from below. (They weren’t doing their job before, but now they are.)
4) We lifted the house slightly to try to level it. (It kind of worked. Well, not really.)
5) We made a lot of improvements so that moisture and rodents under the house are no longer a problem. (We hope.)
So finally, we’re back to working on our bedroom. That means the ugly, tiled ceiling is gone! We are currently trying to decide if we want a basic, sheetrock ceiling, or if we want something with a bit more pizzazz—in the modest, lake house sense of the word—which basically means wood planks.
We can now look directly at our nude roof, which, as you can see, has no rats, no insulation, and no dignity left.